Friday, September 24, 2010

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas

So yea, this sounds kinda weird but I've seen them on blogs & after seeing them turn up yet again, I decided to give them a shot. I've always loved sweet potatoes but use them in a sweet manner only. Well, this is very savory & much more than I expected.

I followed this recipe (loosely) from Kath's version.



1 large sweet potato
3/4 can of black beans
Cilantro (about a handful)
1/2 can of green chilis
Cumin
Chili powder
Sharp white cheddar (you can use whatever you want)
Tortillas of choice

I nuked the sweet potato until soft then put the "meat" in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder, 1/2 can of green chilis & the beans.

Then spread the mixture into tortilla shells (I made 5 & had some filling leftover), roll & place in a pan that has salsa verde in the bottom. Once they are all rolled, top with more salsa verde & your cheese.

I realized when they came out of the oven that I forgot the cilantro so chopped it & put it on top which I thought was perfect. We also topped with sour cream.

Notes:

Needs more spice & taco seasoning would probably work just fine in this recipe.
Salsa verde is my new BFF (so fresh tasting)

Hubby will definitely eat them again & was a little put off that they were meat free but after eating 3 he was full.

They will definitely make a repeat appearance in our house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment